Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Page 94-104



I decided to include the above passage in this blog response because I felt it holds the main focus of what I took away from the reading.

The idea that "Computers can extend the kind of close, personal supervision provided in apprenticeship methods to every learner" is interesting, to say the least. I think this is an applicably true statement when referring to certain style of learning, learning that can be monitored by simply looking at numbers or charts perhaps, but not necessarily to more intricate learning.

A computer can potentially bring me to a chart or graph of my students' progression of their typing via www.typingweb.com showing me that they have completed certain typing tests and their scores on those tests. However, it doesn't show me that they are doing the tests correctly or practicing positive habits.

The last portion of the passage above stating that "the downside is that learners working in such environments may become more isolated from social interaction with other people" is quite true. However, with almost all websites (including educational sites) having some sort of social connectivity aspect, the likelihood that students would experience no social interaction is small.

For example, in teaching kids how to use their blogging websites I see a student's progress in so far as how they've completed their blogs, meanwhile all students experience others via the comments section on each blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment