Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Khan Academy


Lightning Andy has finally checked out Khan Academy, read more to see what he thinks.



Intro to Animation


Made using: Khan Academy Computer Science.



I chose to watch a few of the tutorial videos entitled 'Computer Science: Animation" in order to potentially kill two birds with one stone and complete this an assignment given to me to check out Khan Academy while also learning something I could use in my technology class.

In reflection of the video shown above (and the following videos suggested on the site) I found that while I did learn some things I didn't have any knowledge of before, the lesson seemed to skip over some very basic ideas of animation. For example, where can all of this coding be done? For someone with absolutely no knowledge of computer animation (me) the location for which all of this coding can be done would be question one. Unfortunately this tutorial video completely ignores this.

The video would be great for someone looking for a quick refresher on animation, for example someone who has animated in the past. However, a lot of this seemed over my head, and therefore I believe it ought not be labeled a 'tutorial'.

Unfortunately, the critique I am giving seems to go along with other popular critiques of KA (I say unfortunately because I was a huge proponent of the theory behind KA prior to watching my first lessons). I really have to say that, while the material may have been presented in a good way, it was in no way presented in a way that anyone without experience (let a lone any middle schooler/ most high schoolers) could learn from. The critique that these videos are not put together by people with knowledge of how students learn is all too true.

Potentially, this video could be used in a 'flipped classroom' setting. However, I truly think having students come into class saying "WTF Mr. DeCola, that video was confusing" would not be a step in the right direction. That's not to say that the flipped classroom couldn't work with better videos. However, if the idea is to have students learn at their own pace, it might make more work for the teacher (stretching them even thinner) and having them give less to each student (as each student being at a different place in the lesson would simply be madness).


1 comment:

  1. I think your points are valid, in terms of the presentation style not fitting everyone.

    I also agree that the concept behind "flipping" has some value. Maybe we will look back at this and laugh at the quality of the videos. But I think he is on to something.

    ReplyDelete